Have you heard of Kyoto is amazing? It seems like it’s one of the best place in Kansai and indeed, I love this city!! It’s a very small city but the place is really nice. I went to Kyoto for 1 day trip which is totally not enough to discover the city, but since Kyoto station is just one hour away from Osaka station, you don’t have to purposely move all the way from Osaka to Kyoto for 2 nights stay, with the magical JR West Rail Pass, you can make a separate 2 days trip to Kyoto!!
Upon arrival in Kyoto station, again remember to look for tourist center, Kansari area tourist center is amazing, they’ll usually have 3 counters which provide 3 different languages: English, Chinese & Korean. Grab a map and ask for the best way to tour Kyoto!!
A Kyoto City Bus One Day Pass is what I get for my 1 day trip. With just $500yen, you can hop on and off for all they city buses.
Here’s an overall 1 day trip:
- 10:30am: Head up to Kiyomizu-dera Temple (10min walk from Gojo-zaka or Kiyomizu-michi Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 100 or 206 from Kyoto Station). Sure, it’s mercantile and touristy, but it’s also beautiful and it’s got a great view over the city. By going early, you’ll beat the daily crowds. Whatever you do, don’t forget to enter the subterranean Tainai-Meguri.
- 11:30am: Walk down Sannen-zaka and Ninen-zaka, two preserved streets, to Maruyama-koen Park to enjoy some greenery.
- 12:30pm: Walk through Chion-in Temple but don’t linger, since it’s under construction.
- 1:00pm: Enter Shoren-in Temple and enjoy a cup of tea overlooking the garden.
- 2:00pm: Have lunch at Kyoto downtown – Nishiki Market.
- 3.00pm: After lunch, explore Nishiki Market and the food floor at nearby Daimaru Department Store.
- 7.30pm: Head back to Osaka.
Basically, these are some of the best places you can cover in 1 day, even better if you’re coming for 2nd day, you’ll be more familiar with the bus route and you get to discover the city a bit more.